Are you starting to notice those nasty wrinkles and fine lines whenever you look into the mirror? Don’t you just long for the smooth, flawless, youthful, glowing skin you used to have? Well, don’t worry! You are not alone.
Over time, we will eventually lose our once youthful looks. This can be due to a number of factors, such as the micronutrients we once abundantly have become lesser and lesser as the year passes by.
I know it’s not possible to turn back time, but do you know that there are ways to replenish the natural nutrients in our body and combat the much-hated wrinkles? You can begin by having some collagen supplement that helps you replenish the required protein in your body to keep your skin well-hydrated with a youthful glow. Collagen benefits for hair may even surprise you.
But how do we know it’s the best collagen supplement for us? Well, if you want to know the answer, then keep on reading below. But before that, let’s find out first what really is collagen supplement and how can it helps our body.
What are Collagen Supplements?
So before you make any purchases of collagen supplements, you have to be properly informed what it really is. Collagen supplement is literally a supplement that can give you an ingestible form of collagen. It is not like other supplements that just simply stimulate the production of collagen in your body.
What’s great about collagen supplement is it can actually do both! This means that having them will immediately give you a boost of collagen and at the same time helping you produce long-term production.
There are actually different types of collagen supplements, each comes with its own benefits. These are:
- Collagen Pills. Obviously, this collagen supplement comes in a pill form. This type can be easily and quickly taken making it very convenient, but unfortunately, it is not the best when it comes to bioavailability.
- Gel Collagen. This gelatin type of collagen supplement is something you get to rub into your skin. You’ll get the nutrients as it penetrates the skin and as it gets absorbed directly into the tissue where you need it most.
- Liquid collagen. The liquid form of collagen supplement is the most dominant type in today’s market since it is highly concentrated and can give you enough bioavailability to activate the wound repair response in our body. What I like about liquid collagen is that it is very easy to swallow and digest since you will simply add it as part of your drink mix.
Things to Consider When Buying Collagen Supplement
1. Types of Collagen. There are actually 28 types of collagen that can be found in our body, but there are three main types of dietary collagen that can be found on the market today.
- Type I Collagen. This type is the most abundant collagen in our body, it makes up 80% of the dermis layer in our skin. Do you know that it weights stronger than steel? Yes, you read that right. This is why it has been considered to be the vital element in giving our skin its structure and firmness.
- Type II Collagen. This is responsible to keep our joints moving gracefully, hence it is being used to care for aging joints; it can help relieve common joint pains like arthritis.
- Type III Collagen. This is the next most abundant collagen that can be found in our human tissue. Ever wonder why baby and children’s skin feels so soft and enviable? Well, it’s all thanks to type III collagen. Unfortunately, it will gradually be replaced by type I collagen as we grow older.
Anyway, if you want something that will work for your skin, choose the supplement that features at least 90% type I collagen. You can also ask your doctor, “How much collagen should I take daily?”
We have to maximize the absorption of collagen into our body and we can only do this by pairing our supplement with key active ingredients. This is the best way to take the positive effects of collagen supplement and of course, enjoy powerful and effective anti-aging benefits like reducing your fine lines, less visible wrinkles, increase hydration and make your skin look firmer.
These active ingredients are:
- Hyaluronic acid. It keeps the skin’s ability to retain moisture to make our skin look hydrated. As we age, the hyaluronic acid levels in our body decrease.
- Chondroitin sulfate protein complex. Its main role is to make our skin flexible to be stretched.
- Vitamin C. A study shows that the more we take Vitamin C, the lesser it is for our wrinkles to appear.
- CoQ10. This powerful antioxidant helps our body gets rid of the damage free radicals can do to our system, including any signs of aging skin.
- DNA. It works together with hydrolyzed collagen to form new fibroblasts which help grow new collagen.
- Ceramide. It protects the underlying layers of our skin to draw in and hold moisture.
3. Sources of Collagen
There are actually three main sources of collagen supplements. These are:
- bovine (cow)
- porcine (pig)
- marine (fish)
The ones coming from the fish has shown to have superior bioavailability and much pure compared to cows and pigs. It can quickly be absorbed by your body and keeps wrinkles at bay. However, its manufacturing costs can be expensive. So when it comes to bovine collagen vs marine collagen, the winner will really depend on your budget.
Top Five of the Best Collagen Supplement
Sports Research Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides
On top of the list is Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides by Sports Beach. It comes in a powder form which is unflavoured and has a neutral taste, making it extremely easy to add to your diet. It is easy to dissolve in both cold and hot water, so you won’t have any problem mixing it to your morning coffee or your refreshing orange juice in the afternoon; the bonus is it won’t affect your beverage’s taste. I even tried adding it to my oatmeal and yogurt and it worked well too!
What made this product the best collagen supplement is that is packed with gut-friendly and easily digestible amino acids that can help you fight back the progressive effects of aging and even make your bones stronger and your joints healthier.
This product is sourced from cows that are grass-fed and pasture-raised, so we can be sure that there are no harmful additions of chemicals, hormones, antibiotics or drugs. And if you’re into the paleo diet, you’d be glad to know that this product will suit your diet.
Most of all, Sports Research offers a complete 90-day money back guarantee, just in case, you will be unhappy with your purchase. This only means that this brand is confident enough for you to start seeing noticeable results within three months of use.
- It is packed with amino acids
- Its powder mix and dissolve well, it doesn’t clump up.
- Since this product is grass-fed, it is paleo friendly
- Non-GMO and gluten free
- Comes with money back guarantee
- It is not fortified with Vitamin C
- The jar is quite difficult to open
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
It’s impressive to know that one serving of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides contains 20 grams of collagen peptide, which is a lot more compared to other similar products. No wonder why a lot of users noticed their skin has gotten plumper and more youthful while their nails and hair has grown faster within just a few weeks of daily use.
Just like Sports Research Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides, this product also comes in an easily digestible powder form that you can mix in either hot or cold water. This means it would not be difficult to add this product to your diet. Just dissolve two scoops of powder in your choice of liquid or beverage like smoothies or even soups.
And since this product comes from pasture-raised, grass-fed bovine, we can be guaranteed that this supplement has no contact with harmful chemicals, drugs or hormones. This is also non-GMO!
- Dissolves well in both cold and hot liquids
- Safe for those who are dairy and gluten free
- Sourced from pasture-raised and grass-fed bovine
- There are some users that say the product has a bit distasteful taste, though some claims that it is tasteless.
- There are also users who report that the supplement caused them bloating and gastrointestinal discomfort
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate is regarded to be one of the better brands. It is said to be one of the most effective supplements that you will quite rapidly see positive results in your skin, nails, and hair. This is because it has a unique combination of amino acids and has been created from the tissue, skin, and bones of grass-fed cattle.
When it comes to taste, you might need a little of getting used to with this product, although it is not unpleasant at all. It also mixes remarkably well with just about every liquid. What’s even great is that it has an unnoticeable taste even in water.
- Dissolves well
- Give quick results
- Low in sodium, fat-free, MSG free and gluten-free
- There are some users who find the taste unpleasant.
Neocell Super Powder Collagen
Neocell Super Collagen Powder Collager is called super for a reason. This supplement is a combination of type I and type III hydrolyzed collagen made from bovine collagen. Not only that, it is also remarkably priced, making it the best collagen supplement for those on a tight budget looking for a long-term option.
Just like Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides by Perfotek it also comes in a powder form, made in the United States, paleo-diet friendly since it is sourced from grass-fed cows, gluten free and of course, non-GMO. However, some users report negative effects after taking this supplement such as nausea. Well, we just have to remember that supplements may affect every person in different ways; users experience this side effect doesn’t mean that you will too.
- Comes in a powder form
- Has an excellent price
- Paleo-diet friendly
- Non-GMO and gluten free
- May cause some side effects
Collagen Peptides Hydrolized Protein
I like how this Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides by Perfotek comes in almost perfect rating. Made from bovine collagen in the United States of America, this product can give you 100% collagen in a hydrolyzed form for an improved bioavailability. It is also kosher friendly and is non-GMO. If you’re onto paleo diet, this is a good choice for you since it is made from grass-fed cows.
Furthermore, this product features 18 amino acids that are enough to completely rebuild and refresh your entire body. So, if you want a supplement that is not only skin rejuvenating but at the same time helps you achieve strong and shiny hair, stronger and healthy nails as well as relieves for your joint pains, then you can give this product from Perfotek a try.
- Comes in a powder form
- Paleo-diet friendly
- Non-GMO and gluten free
With all the benefits of drinking collagen supplement to our overall health, there is really no doubt to why you are hearing more and more good things about this supplement and I can also see that this fad will even get a whole lot bigger in the near future. So why don’t you try to incorporate this supplement into your diet?
If you’re still confused what among the products I mentioned that will be most suitable for you, I highly recommend Sports Research Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides. For me, it has to be the best collagen supplement. I like how it comes in a huge serving and it is in a powder form; of course, no one wants to take a lot of pills every day. Furthermore, in addition to its collagen, it also offers full amino acid, making it two supplements in one drink! Definitely a major bonus! And the best part of it all? It is exceptionally priced, making it a great choice for long-term usage.
So what do you think? Did we make the same choice? Let me know by leaving comments below. Also, please don’t forget to share this with your friends too.